Drs. Danny & Justin Smith of Physical Therapy Services come onto HET Podcast to talk about development of sports physical therapists by talking about their own residency program, essential requirements of a sports clinician, the SCS exam, where sports residencies are and where they should go, and much more!
*This Sports Residency is NOT accredited by APTA/ABPTRFE
Danny D. Smith PT, DHSc, OCS, SCS, ATC
- President/CEO/Founder, Physical Therapy Services, P.A.
- Founder, Center for Athletic Medicine
- Adjunct Professor, Belmont University, School of Physical Therapy
- Adjunct Professor, Milligan College
Danny D. Smith, PT, DHSc, is the Founder, President, and CEO of Physical Therapy Services, P.A. with offices located in Elizabethton, TN and Johnson City, TN. Dr. Smith has been actively involved in the evaluation, treatment, and return to play of athletes in the Northeast Tennessee region since 1977 when he became the volunteer sports physical therapist for the Elizabethton School System, a position he continues today. Physical Therapy Services, P.A. houses the only Sports Physical Therapy Residency in Tennessee.
Smith has served numerous capacities within the Sports Physical Therapy Section including, Secretary, Member-at-Large as well as the first Emergency Response SIG chair. He has lectured over 200 times nationally and internationally and is currently and Emergency Medical Response Instructor Trainer. His specialty area is in the pre-hospital care of the injured athlete. He has received the “Turner A. Blackburn Lifetime Achievement Award’ as well as the Ron Peyton Award which is the highest award given by the Sport Section. Dr. Smith currently serves as adjunct profession at Belmont University PT Program, East Tennessee State University PT Program, and Milligan College. Additionally, Smith has served as a Physical Therapist/ Athletic Trainer for the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta and remained in Atlanta and served as the Director of the Sports Medicine Center for the 1996 Paralympic Games.
- Bachelors in Physical Therapy 1972 University of Tennessee
- Masters in Education 1977 East Tennessee State University
- Doctor of Health Science 1996 University of St. Augustine
- Board Certified Clinical Specialist Sports 1986,1996,2006
- Orthopedics 1996, 2006
Current Professional Appointment
- President/CEO Physical Therapy Services, P.A.- 1980-present
- Founder- Center for Athletic Medicine- 1985-present
- Director of Sports Medicine- Elizabethton (TN) School System
- Adjunct Professor – East Tennessee State University
- Adjunct Professor- Belmont University 2000-present
- Adjunct Professor- Milligan College 1988-present
- APTA- SPTS, Orthopedic Section
- NATA: TATA
- Contributing Author IJSPT
- Past Secretary SPTS
- Past Member –at- Large- SPTS
- Reviewer Sports Health
- Turner A. Blackburn Lifetime Achievement Award in Sports Physical Therapy
- SPTS Ron Peyton Award
Dr. Justin Smith, PT, DPT, SCS, RN
Justin is a native of Elizabethton, TN and graduated from Elizabethton High School in 1996. He attended ETSU and graduated in 2001 with a Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing. Following a stint as a trauma nurse at Johnson City Medical Center Hospital, Justin was accepted into the Physical Therapy Program at Belmont University in Nashville. He graduated with a Doctorate in Physical Therapy from Belmont in 2006. His areas of interest are orthopedics and sports. He is board certified in Sports Physical Therapy and in Dry Needling. He serves as a clinical instructor for a number of Physical Therapy educational programs across the country as well as Vice-President and Clinical Director for PTS.